Monthly Archives: September 2010

Risen from the Ashes: St. Joseph’s Preparatory School and the Gesu Church, Part 2

As the Gesu parish flourished, so did St. Joseph’s Preparatory School. By 1927, the University moved from North Philadelphia to a new campus on City Line Avenue, giving the secondary school much more space. It was also in the 1920s that the school became known as “The Prep” and its students as “Preppers.” Because of […]
Posted in Historic Sites | Comments closed

Risen from the Ashes: St. Joseph’s Preparatory School and the Gesu Church, Part 1

Old St. Joseph’s Preparatory School on fire, January 30, 1966. Collection of St. Joseph’s Preparatory School. On the early morning of January 30, 1966, a watchman spotted a fire smoldering in the basement of St. Joseph’s Preparatory School. He alerted Brother Stanley Leikus, S.J., who ran onto Stiles Street at 5:30am and pulled the firebox. […]
Posted in Historic Sites | Comments closed