Category Archives: Historic Sites

Cigars with Frank Furness at 711 Locust Street

Reverend William Henry Furness (1802-1896), the minister of Philadelphia’s First Unitarian Church, complained that Philadelphia’s architects should liberate themselves from the demure and boring “Quaker style…marble steps, and wooden shutters.”   Yet exuberant ornamentation was not only anathema to Philadelphia taste, but it was also expensive, even in the Victorian era of cheap labor.  Reverend Furness raised […]
Also posted in Behind the Scenes, Snapshots of History | Leave a comment

Angora Mills and the Baptist Minister

  Entrepreneurs George and Robert Callaghan built the Angora Mills complex in 1864, at the height of Civil War-fueled demand for army uniforms. Named after the Turkish city of Ankara (not the cat breed), it stood at the intersection of 60th Street and Baltimore Avenue (in today’s Cobbs Creek neighborhood) and sprawled over 52 acres. […]
Also posted in Behind the Scenes, Neighborhoods, Snapshots of History | Leave a comment

A Philadelphia Firehouse Designed by the “Other” Philip Johnson

All our municipal governments are more or less bad. Philadelphia is simply the most corrupt and the most contented.” -Lincoln Steffens, 1903 The firehouse at intersection of Baltimore Avenue and 50th Street is a redbrick Flemish revival structure dating from the early 1900s.  In the days of coal-fired kitchen ranges and unreliable electrical wiring, a […]
Also posted in Behind the Scenes, Neighborhoods, Snapshots of History | Tagged | Leave a comment

Martin Meyerson’s Presidential Residence at 2016 Spruce Street

In 1970, University of Pennsylvania’s new president Martin Meyerson hired arguably the most famous architect in America at the time, Penn’s own Louis Kahn, to renovate a double-wide brownstone mansion at 2016 Spruce Street into a new presidential residence.  Meyerson was a unusual university president, in that his background was not in academia, but in […]
Also posted in Behind the Scenes, Neighborhoods, Snapshots of History | 1 Comment

Joseph Moore Jr., “A Remnant of the Mauve Decade”

There are few interior shots available on PhillyHistory.org. The insides of the grand mansions of Rittenhouse Square and their modest West Philadelphia rowhouses have been largely lost history, their contents dispersed to family members, sold at auction during the Great Depression, or buried in landfills. Among the few surviving images of these every day stagesets are […]
Also posted in Behind the Scenes, Neighborhoods | Leave a comment

The Mystery Church: St. Andrew’s Chapel of Spruce Hill

St. Andrew’s Chapel, one of Philadelphia’s finest examples of neo-Gothic architecture, is the  only quiet place on its tree-shaded block.  The locked building is surrounded by the bustle of the children attending the Penn Alexander School and the Parent Infant Center.  From the 1924 to 1974, this church was the centerpiece of the now-closed Philadelphia […]
Also posted in Behind the Scenes, Snapshots of History | 2 Comments

Books in Trust: The Germantown Friends Free Library – Part 2

“In an age in which the individual is merely a number to his employer, his bank, his insurance company and his government, humanizing influences are sadly needed. It is our belief that books and the libraries that make them available constitute one of the most powerful of these influences.” –Germantown Friends Free Library Annual Report, […]
Also posted in Behind the Scenes, Snapshots of History | Leave a comment

A Cursed Mansion in Belmont: The Rise and Fall of the Rorkes (Part 2)

During the hot summer of July 1900, Franklin Rorke was faced with mounting bills and a failing construction business. His new mansion at 41st and Ogden, an extravagant gift from his late father, had every modern convenience, and boasted mosaics, hardwood floors, marble trim, and onyx fireplaces, as well as a fully equipped stable in […]
Also posted in Behind the Scenes, Events and People, Snapshots of History | 1 Comment

Apothecary Roses of Germantown

The Wyck mansion, located in the Germantown section of Philadelphia, is not just one of the oldest structures in the city, but is also home to the oldest surviving rose garden in the nation. The first section of the dwelling dates to 1690, when Germantown was a satellite of the new city of Phialdelphia. For […]
Also posted in Behind the Scenes | Comments closed

The Autocrat and the Engineer (Part II)

As the capital of Imperial Russia, St. Petersburg was a city of many palaces.  Some belonged to the Romanov family, such as Peterhof, the Winter Palace, the Pavlovsk Palace, the Anichkov Palace, and Tsarskoe Selo.  Others belonged to wealthy Russian nobles, such as the Yusapov, Beloselskiy, and Stroganov clans. Many had been constructed in the 18th century, […]
Also posted in Behind the Scenes, Events and People | Comments closed
  • Categories

  • Archives